Peppermint tea been used for years to give a distinct taste and aroma to food. Especially, when it comes to coriander-mint chutney with pagodas, the mouth gets watery. By the way, mint can be used not only in food but also as medicine. There is nothing better than mint tea for its medicinal properties.
What is Peppermint Tea?
Mint tea is herbal tea, which is prepared from mint leaves. For this reason, almost all the properties of mint are also present in mint tea. People use mint and tea made from it as a flavor as well as a medicine. According to research published on the website of NCBI National Center for Biotechnology Information, mint leaves contain rosmarinic acid and several types of flavonoids. Studies have also revealed that mint has antimicrobial, antiviral, antioxidant, antitumor, and anti-allergenic effects. Now in the next article, we will give information about the benefits of mint tea due to all these effects of mint.
Peppermint Tea Benefits
The benefits of peppermint tea can help to stay healthy and reduce symptoms of illness. On the basis of these benefits, do not mistake the use of mint as the treatment of any serious disease. For any serious health problem, give priority to medical treatment. Come, now know what are the benefits of mint tea.
1. Benefits of Peppermint Tea for Digestion
Almost every other person is troubled by the problem of digestion. In such a situation, mint tea can give some relief from digestive problems. For this reason, mint has been used as a herbal medicine for the stomach. Well, many researchers say that peppermint-tea is beneficial for digestion, but it is not clear which element present in it is beneficial for digestion.
2. Peppermint Tea for Tension Headaches and Migraines
To get rid of headaches, many people recommend drinking tea. In this case, mint tea can be consumed. Peppermint tea is said to reduce stress and relieve headaches and migraines caused by it. In fact, mint contains a menthol compound, which exhibits antirheumatic properties. This property can help reduce headaches.
3. Peppermint Tea for Fresh Breath
Mint can also be used to get fresh breath. It has been said in a study that mint can help in giving fresh breath by removing the odor of the mouth. Actually, the antibacterial properties present in mint can be helpful in relieving mouth odor by removing the pathogen bacteria of the mouth. Apart from this, due to the menthol present in mint, it gives a feeling of freshness, due to which it is also used as a mouth freshener and mouth wash. On this basis, it can be said that the consumption of mint tea is also effective for oral health.
4. Peppermint Tea for Stuffed Nose
Mint tea can also be used to reduce the problem of blocked noses. A study conducted by Cardiff University found that the active compound L-menthol in peppermint can improve the problem of the blocked nose by increasing airflow . . In such a situation, it can be believed that consuming mint tea and inhaling its steam can be beneficial in case of nasal congestion.
5. Peppermint Tea for Period Cramps
Mint tea can be helpful in reducing menstrual pain and cramps. In this regard, according to research published on the website of NCBI, girl students suffering from the problem of menstrual cramps felt a reduction in pain after taking peppermint extract. In addition, mint leaves have analgesic properties, which can help in relieving pain. On this basis, it can be said that the consumption of mint tea can be effective during periods.
6. Antibacterial Properties
Mint leaves have an antibacterial effect. Research has said that this effect can show an effective effect on gram-negative bacteria. In addition, it may be helpful in protecting against many other health-causing bacteria such as Escherichia coli and Salmonella pullorum K For this reason, it is said that mint tea can be beneficial in protecting the body from the bad effects of germs.
7. Peppermint Tea for Good Sleep
Mint tea can also be consumed for good sleep. One study says that peppermint tea can be helpful in reducing the problem of insomnia caused by stress. Yes, apart from relieving stress and providing good sleep, more research is needed on how it helps in increasing the quality of sleep.
8. Peppermint Tea for Freshness
The mint aroma present in mint leaves not only enhances the taste of food but can also provide a refreshing feeling. Actually, the menthol compound present in peppermint is known to give a refreshing feeling. For this reason, mint tea is said to be a good option to freshen the mood.
9. Peppermint Tea for Seasonal Allergies
Peppermint tea can also be beneficial in preventing seasonal allergies. Indeed, mint also has anti-allergenic effects, which can relieve allergies. In addition, mint tea also contains rosmarinic acid. This acid exhibits anti-allergenic as well as anti-inflammatory effects. Together, these two effects may help protect against seasonal allergic rhinoconjunctivitis allergies of the eye and nose.
9. Peppermint Tea for Concentration
Consuming mint tea can also help increase concentration. Actually, the menthol present in mint tea has the property of inhibiting the cholinesterase enzyme. Because of this effect, mint tea may improve memory and concentration. In addition, mint tea can also help reduce the problem of Alzheimer’s weak memory .
How to Prepare Peppermint Tea
To reap the benefits of mint tea, one must also know how to make it. You can easily prepare it with the help of the mint tea recipe given here.
- 10 to 15 mint leaves
- two to two and a half cups of water
- honey to taste
- a saucepan
Method of preparation :
- First boil water in a saucepan.
- Now put mint leaves in it.
- Then let the water boil for a while.
- After few seconds turn off the gas and cover the water.
- Then filter this tea after a few minutes.
- If you want, add honey as per taste.
- Your mint tea is ready, now you can take healthy sips of it.
- If you want, you can also make salty-spicy mint tea by adding salt.
The Right Time To Drink Mint Tea
Mint tea can be consumed at any time of the day. As given above information that it can improve digestion, so it can be consumed even after eating food. Also, it is a herbal tea, so you can drink it at night before sleeping.
Side Effects of Peppermint Tea
- A sensitive person may have problems like allergies or asthma .
- According to research conducted on male rats, excessive consumption of mint tea can affect reproductive function . Although this research has been done on animals, further research is needed regarding its effect on humans. Nevertheless, as a precaution, men should keep a distance from its excessive consumption.
- Those with low blood pressure problems should consult a doctor or specialist before drinking peppermint tea, as peppermint tea has properties to lower blood pressure .
- By the way, mint tea is not considered harmful to the pregnant and fetus. Nevertheless, it is advised to avoid excessive consumption of this tea due to the emmenagogue effect present in it. Actually, the emmenagogue effect can stimulate blood flow to the pelvic and uterus. In this case the risk of miscarriage may increase .
- These were the benefits of mint tea, after knowing which you must be looking to include it in your diet. If so, then you can prepare it by reading the easy method of making mint tea mentioned in the article. Yes, don’t expect any miracle after drinking it. Peppermint tea is not a magic, which shows immediate effect. You will have to wait a bit to get the benefits of mint tea, but one thing is sure that after drinking it, you will definitely feel fresh. While consuming it, also pay attention to the harm of drinking mint tea and consume it in balanced quantity