Potato and cabbage are both versatile vegetables that can be combined to create a delicious and hearty dish. One popular recipe that incorporates both ingredients is “Potato and Cabbage Hash.” Here’s a simple recipe for you to try:
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced into small cubes
- 1/2 head of cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (optional)
- Fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish (optional)
- Heat the olive oil or butter in a large skillet or frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onions and garlic to the skillet and sauté them until they become translucent and fragrant.
- Add the diced potatoes to the skillet and season them with salt, pepper, and paprika (if using). Stir well to coat the potatoes with the seasoning.
- Cook the potatoes for about 10-15 minutes, or until they start to become tender and slightly crispy, stirring occasionally.
- Add the thinly sliced cabbage to the skillet and stir to combine it with the potatoes and onions.
- Cover the skillet with a lid and let the mixture cook for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the cabbage has wilted and the potatoes are fully tender. Be sure to stir occasionally to prevent sticking and ensure even cooking.
- Taste the hash and adjust the seasoning with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Once the potatoes are fully cooked and the cabbage is tender, remove the skillet from the heat.
- Serve the potato and cabbage hash hot, garnished with fresh chopped parsley if desired.
This dish makes a great side dish for a variety of meals or can be enjoyed on its own as a comforting and satisfying vegetarian meal. You can also customize it by adding other seasonings or ingredients like diced bacon, shredded cheese, or hot sauce to suit your taste preferences.